7 Days to Natural, Organic, Homemade Kombucha Tea
Kombucha is a refreshing, effervescent tea drink rich in antioxidants and good healthy bacteria. And the best part – you can easily make your own at home!
It takes some preparation to get your supplies organized, but once you get a taste of this fizzy delicious drink, you’ll be making it on the regular.
Here is my first-timer’s recipe for 7 Day Kombucha. Enjoy!!
Yields: 4 litres
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup coconut or cane sugar
- 4-6 tea bags or (4-6 tsp of loose leaf tea)
- SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast) Kombucha Starter Culture – you can grow your own SCOBY if you are keen, or for first timers, it’s easiest to buy a Tea Starter kit online (http://www.culturesforhealth.com/kombucha-tea-starter-culture.html)
- 1 cup starter liquid – use 1 cup of fluid off the top of previous batch of Kombucha OR if this is your first time – use 4 Tbsp of white distilled vinegar plus 1 cup water
- Purified or spring water
- 4 litre glass jar
- Cloth cover
- Large rubber band
How to Make Kombucha:
- Boil 1 litre water
- Add water and tea bags/leaves to glass jar
- Steep 5 minutes and remove tea bags or leaves
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved
- Add SCOBY and starter liquid
- Cover glass jar with cloth and secure around with rubber band
- Set pot aside in a dry, warm location away from direct sun
- Leave still for 7 days
After 7 days – add flavour if you wish. You can add mint, raspberry, honey, ginger, or anything you like.
DRINK and ENJOY!!