Has the long winter left you feeling weighed down?
A gentle spring cleanse is a great way to boost your energy and metabolism so you can get out and enjoy the season. Cleaning is simple, easy to do and with rejuvenate your body and mind.
When considering a cleanse, make sure you are targeting all your organs of elimination: liver, kidneys, lungs, lymph, skin and colon. Many health food store detox programs focus heavily on colon cleansing and can be quite harsh.
Bigger is not better: a cleanse does not need to be uncomfortable to be effective. Our bodies our continually detoxifying. A seasonal cleanse simply helps to set up optimal conditions for your body’s natural detoxifying capabilities. It is common to feel sluggish or slightly under-the-weather in the beginning of a cleanse. This is a natural reaction to the release of toxins from your body’s tissues. However, don’t be alarmed if you feel wonderful during your entire cleanse!
Here are a few of our favourite at-home basics for a gentle cleanse
- Clean up your diet and increase your water intake.
- Start the day with a glass of warm water with 1/2 a lemon squeezed in it. This will get your liver and gallbladder working first thing in the morning.
- Swap out your coffee for organic rooibos or rosehip tea. They are high in vital antioxidants and will keep you well hydrated.
- Incorporate flax into your diet
- 2 tbsp ground flax each day will boost your fibre intake, helping keep your digestion regular and binding up any toxins and excess hormones that may be in your digestive tract.
- Flax can be sprinkled on top of yogurt, added to smoothies or mixed with water.
- Be sure to buy organic whole flax seeds and grind them yourself in your blender or coffee grinder. The healthy oils inside the flax seed are very susceptible to oxidation so the less time they are in contact with oxygen, the better. It is fine to grind enough for 3-4 days and keep it chilled in the fridge.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water when increasing your fibre intake
- Breathe deeply
- Take at least 5 each day to take deep breaths into your belly. To increase awareness, it can help to place a heavy book on your belly.
- Dry skin brushing
- To help kick-start your skin detoxification and lymph flow, take a natural bristled brush and make gentle circular motions, working your way upwards from your feet, then from your hands to your shoulders and the rest of your body.
- Direct all strokes towards your heart. This traces the major pathways of lymph flow.
If you feel you are ready to take your cleanse to the next level, book an appointment with Dr. Lange or Dr. Rolfsen to learn about PNC Signature Detox. Our program will be customized, with your unique health goals in mind, to help you nourish your body while helping to support your detox organs.